This area to
the east of Eliot Circle includes two large, old giant sequoias that were
planted by a group of student workers in January of 1937. The trees were
transplanted from a nursery on the north side of the canyon. One of the
students on the grounds crew, Marshall Cronyn, later returned to the college
to work as a Chemistry professor from 1952 to 1982 and as provost from
1982 to 1989.
Bay beside the Physics building was planted by Biology professor Bert
Brehm, who brought it up from Paradise, CA around 1968.