The Reed College Resident Director position offers a unique professional opportunity to lead student communities strongly committed to the college’s academic mission. As members of the Residence Life staff, RDs are encouraged to use creativity, critical thinking, good judgment, common sense, and a commitment to student development in order to support relationships and activities in a community governed by the College’s honor principle. Using the honor principle as a guide, the institution places a strong emphasis on relationship building and conversations regarding student conduct, rather than on disciplinary action. The position includes a flexible work environment and a departmental commitment to a personal/professional balance. Significant opportunities exist for involvement within the campus community.
Main Job Duties
- Supervise, train, and evaluate a student staff of 8-13 House Advisors (known elsewhere as RAs)
- Manage a community of approximately 160 students
- Administrate an area group budget of approximately $7,000
- Provide and/or facilitate educational and social programming in the residence halls
- Collaborate with Facilities Services regarding building maintenance and custodial concerns to maintain a healthy and safe living environment
- Create strong relationships with students in area group
- On-call duty responsibility for approximately 3 ½ weeks each semester
- Conduct meetings with residents as follow-up to violations of the Alcohol and Other Drug Policy and other disruptive and/or harmful behaviors
- Participate in the overall planning and management of the residence hall system and provide input in the development of policies and procedures. Participation on task forces, and group goal planning and objective setting
- Administrate at least one major Residence Life project per year. Examples of past projects include:
- RD recruitment and selection
- HA recruitment and selection
- Evaluation and assessment
- Housing lottery
- Residence Life Committee
- Web site development and maintenance
- Theme dorm organization and support
- Assist with recruitment, selection, training and evaluation of paraprofessional residence life staff
- Assess and respond to areas of additional training for student staff
Cultural humility and developed interpersonal skills are valued in RD applicants, and viewed as attributes that help inspire interactions and cooperation with a wide variety of people at all levels and across cultures. Applicants must be self-reflective and accountable. We are also seeking professionals that display a willingness to listen, collaborate, educate, and work constantly towards a common purpose. Additionally, individuals with strong self-initiative thrive in the RD position at Reed.
Experience working in higher education and a Master's degree are both highly preferred. The position is a 10-month live-in residence life staff position that includes a fully furnished apartment, housing for the entire year, and a meal plan. Partners and pets are welcome. An Equal Opportunity Employer, Reed values diversity and encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
Applications will be considered as they are submitted, however priority will be given to those who apply before November 23, 2013. The position will remain open and applicant evaluation will continue until position(s) are filled. Start date for the position is January 6, 2014 with an opportunity to move in December 30, 2013.
For information on how to apply, visit our Human Resources page.
For more information about our Residence Life office visit our homepage.