More than 90 percent of Eastmoreland Hospital building
The Eastmoreland Hospital building and surrounding property on the northwest corner of
campus was purchased by the college in 2003. Under the direction of Townsend Angell, Reed's
director of facilities operations, the building has been demolished, and 90 percent of
the scrap iron, concrete, wood, and other building materials have been recycled. Approximately
100 tons of material was salvaged for resale, 1200 tons of steel was recycled and16,000
tons of concrete were crushed and used as fill on site.
As reported in November's Reed,
the site is being graded and reseeded as a grass field for now. A Master Plan Committee
has begun to examine present and future campus facilities needs, including possible uses
for the old hospital site. The committee will be presenting ideas to the Reed community,
the neighborhood, the city, and the board of trustees in the coming months.