Reed Magazine August 2005
next page next page
Vanished Buildings    Do you remember the cardboard castle? The metal workshop? The barracks?

Botsford Auditorium (Botsford theatre-gym) 1947–64

The theatre-gym was added just north of the old gymnasium to provide a new full-sized gymnasium floor for basketball, and an auditorium for plays. It was the “recreation hall” part of the war surplus buildings, moved from Bagley Downs in Vancouver, Washington—the old faculty office building being the other half. The Reed theater-gym was renamed “Botsford Auditorium” in Charles S. Botsford’s honor in 1950. Botsford was Reed P.E. director from 1915 to 1952, and in 1965, after the building’s demolition, the street leading into the campus from S.E. 28th Avenue was named Botsford Drive.

colemanColeman Residence Hall
(cross canyon men’s residence hall) 1959–97

One of the three men’s dorms removed to build Bragdon Hall, Coleman was named in honor of a long-time faculty member and college president, Norman F. Coleman, English professor, 1911–19, 1934–39; Reed president 1925–34. In layout and style, it was the same as the remaining Chittick and Woodbridge residence halls.

fish hatcheryFish Hatchery 1913–16

This fish experiment station, or experimental fish hatchery, was a small, rectangular building built in an area later designated for the outdoor pool. Harry Beal Torrey, Reed biology professor, 1911–20, was director of the hatchery.

foot bridgeFoot Bridge (cantilevered foot bridge) 1959–91

The Arthur M. Churchill Memorial Bridge, built in 1959, connected the campus to the new cross canyon residence halls. It replaced a circa 1940s flat, straight, wooden bridge in the same location. Steps led down to the new, cantilevered bridge on either side of the canyon. It featured stressed plywood girders—the first time this construction had been used on a span of this size: a straight bridge 132 feet long and 15 feet high. It attracted great architectural interest during its lifetime.

next page next page

Reed Magazine August