In Memoriam

Recent Obituaries
In Memoriam Archive

Lewis S. Miller ’39

Lewis S. Miller ’39, September 20, 2003, in Kirkland, Washington. After earning a BA in chemistry at Reed, Lewis was employed at Pacific Power and Light. He then attended Oregon State, receiving an MS in chemistry in 1941, after which he worked at Charleton Labs before beginning a position in the nitrogen division of the Allied Chemical and Die Company in Syracuse, New York. He married Evelyn Kallio ’40 in 1942 and they enjoyed a 50-year marriage. During World War II, Lewis worked on defense projects. In 1945 he went to Iowa State College (University) as a full-time instructor and graduate student, and received a PhD in organic chemistry in 1950. He took a position at the American Marietta Company (later Weyerhaeuser) in Seattle, where he was the research director. After retiring from that position in 1981, he worked as a consultant for Weyerhauser. Lewis was a member of the American Chemical Society and earned patents for many of his inventions. His interests in retirement included gardening and carpentry. The Millers traveled domestically and abroad, and relished life at their cottage in Cannon Beach. In the company of their daughter and two sons, they enjoyed camping, hiking, and skiing. Leis is survived by a son and daughter, nine grandchildren, three great-grandchildren, and his companion, Carolyn Johnson. His sisters, Kathryn Miller ’26 and Margaret Ann Miller ’33, also graduated from Reed.

Appeared in Reed magazine: February 2004

comments powered by Disqus
[an error occurred while processing this directive]