How do I apply?
Admission to the program is highly competitive. The admission process requires completion of the application forms by the stated deadlines below. We require the following components, submitted through web-based forms, for completion of an application:
The link to the new web forms will be active in early February. Applicants, counselors and teachers should complete and submit their respective forms electronically. Please note that these forms do not allow you to save and return to them later for modifications. Please make sure that the form is complete and accurate before submitting.
- 2015-2016 Application form
- Counselor recommendation
- Teacher recommendation
- 2014-2015 Suggested Classes
(the 2015-2016 class schedule will be available in April 2015)
Important: Notification about completion of application and interview scheduling will be sent via email from the director.
- Application for participation and personal statements.
- A graded paper or exam from the field, or related area, that the student wishes to pursue at Reed.
(The paper may be uploaded on the web application—pdf, tif or doc preferred—or sent separately to the office of special programs.)
- One high-school counselor recommendation.
- Two teacher recommendations. (Students should obtain recommendations from teachers who have taught them in a subject related to the course they wish to take at Reed.)
- Current high-school transcript. (While the transcript request is noted on the counselor recommendation form, it is the student's responsibility to confirm with the high school that an official sealed or electronic copy directed to Reed's special programs office is submitted.)
- Transcripts for any college work completed, if relevant.
- Scores of SAT, ACT, or PSAT tests, if available. (If the test scores are not recorded on the high-school transcript, the college counselor may note the scores on the recommendation form.)
After all forms have been received, the director of special programs will contact the applicant via email to arrange a required interview. Please be sure to record accurately your email address in the requested space on the application form.
Preference is given to applications received and completed by April 1, 2015, for admission to fall, 2015 semester courses. Notification of acceptance will be mailed in early June. No applications for fall semester will be accepted after June 30, 2015. Occasionally there are openings for spring semester enrollment; interested students should complete an application by December 1, 2015 for entrance in mid-January, 2016.
An application will not be evaluated until the special programs office has received all required information.
Scheduling an Interview
All applicants to the Young Scholars program are required to interview with the director of special programs. This informal interview is an opportunity for you to address any outstanding questions from your application, and to learn more about course selection and the college in general.
The director of special programs will notify you via email when your application is complete. At that time, you will receive a password and instructions on accessing the interview appointment schedule.
The office of special programs is in Eliot Hall, room 422. Eliot Hall is the large, Tudor Gothic building that faces Woodstock Blvd. with the flag pole out front.