You probably have a lot on your mind as you prepare to come to Reed. For starters, how are you going to get to Portland, and where will you go once you arrive? This page provides information about travel, lodging, and food.
Eating and Sleeping
New Reedies not attending an Orientation Odyssey will be able to move into their rooms starting on Tuesday, August 25. Early arrival is not available. Students who are pre-registered for an Odyssey will have access to their rooms once they arrive on campus.
For family and friends who need a place to stay, Reed has negotiated special rates with several local hotels. Call the hotel directly to make your reservation and mention the “Reed rate.” While you are in town, enjoy some of Portland’s fabulous restaurants and food carts.
Getting to Reed
Most students will arrive at Portland International Airport (PDX). There are plenty of ways to get to Reed once you land.
Airport Shuttle Service
Reed will provide a free airport shuttle from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Tuesday, August 25. Reedies staffing a table in the baggage claim area will direct you to the shuttles, which will run continuously between campus and the airport. No reservations are required.
If you are arriving at a time when free shuttle service is not provided, you can take a commercial airport shuttle. We recommend that you call for the most current information and to make reservations. The Blue Star Airporter (503/249-1837) costs $30.75 one way (additional passenger: $3), $56.75 round trip (additional passenger: about $6), and leaves the airport every half hour from 8 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Reed is accessible via TriMet, Portland’s public transportation network of buses and light rail trains.
- Board the Red Line train (City Center & Beaverton Transit Center) at Portland International Airport MAX Station (Stop ID 10579). The stop is on the baggage claim level. You will need to purchase an all-zone ticket ($2.50) before boarding the train.
- Get off the train at Hollywood/NE 42nd Ave Transit Center MAX Station.
- Walk to Hollywood Transit Center (stop ID 10868).
- Board bus 75, SE César E. Chávez Blvd., to Milwaukie Transit Center. Your all-zone ticket is valid for your transfer to the bus.
- Get off the bus at SE César E. Chávez Blvd & Knight (stop ID 7466).
- Walk 0.4 mile west to the Reed College main entrance.
- Your total travel time on public transit will be just over an hour.
If you prefer to take a taxi from the airport, cab fare from PDX to Reed costs about $35. From downtown to Reed is about $20. Taxis should be available outside the airport terminal, but just in case, here are the local numbers for some cab companies: Radio Cab 503/227-1212, Broadway Cab 503/227-1234, New Rose City Cab 503/282-7707.
Driving to Campus
A map and driving directions are available at Getting to Reed. Parking is available in any campus lot. No permit is necessary. The west lot is recommended for check-in at Kaul Auditorium.
Wondering where you are or where you’re going? View and download a campus map.