Reed College Mourns Death of Student
PORTLAND, OR (April 8, 2008) -- It is with deep sadness that we report the death, on Saturday, April 5, 2008, of Alejandro (“Alex”) Lluch, a first-year student, in his dormitory room at Reed College. According to the preliminary report of the medical examiner, the apparent cause of death was an accidental heroin overdose.
President Colin Diver informed the campus community on Sunday, April 6, expressing his sense of shock and grief at Lluch’s death. In a letter to parents of Reed students, Diver said “we are concentrating our energies on providing solace for the grieving. This is a close community, and personal tragedy touches all of us.” Over the weekend, the college established drop-in centers for students in several dormitories, staffed with house advisers, as well as counseling and student activities staff. A counselor-on-call has been available as well.
Diver expressed his condolences to the Lluch family, who visited campus to meet with deans, counselors, faculty, and students who knew Alex. Diver noted in his letter to parents that Lluch’s father “wanted us to share with the community information about the cause of death in the hope that it might spare another student such a fate or another family such sorrow.”