Mail Services is central receiving for all mail and shipments arriving for students, faculty and staff at Reed College. Reed community members can purchase a variety of mailing and shipping services here, and, students can pick up packages which arrive for them. Mail Services also provides address list maintenance, inserting and bulk mail preparation services.
Our phone numbers are 503/777-7214 or 503/517-7378 / email email@example.com.
Mail Services is open between 10 AM & 4 PM weekdays. We sell postage stamps and mail / ship through USPS, UPS & FEDEX.
Daily receiving and delivery procedures
The Post Office delivers incoming mail once a day around 10 a.m.. Depending on volume, mail from this delivery will be in student boxes between 11AM & 1PM. UPS, Fed-Ex, and other deliveries also usually arrive by 10 AM and are delivered as quickly as staffing allows. After regular hours, special deliveries are accepted by the 28th St Community Safety office and are delivered on the next working day. We deliver mail to student boxes and Eliot hall on Saturday but but do not open our service window.
We prepare our outgoing mail every weekday day afternoon. UPS picks up at 2:30 p.m.. FEDEX and USPS leave at 3:00 p.m.
Along with airbills and shipping containers for the various mailing and shipping services, we have shipping tape, a small selection of regular and padded envelopes and intra-campus envelopes. The bookstore carries a wider selection of stationery notecards and envelopes, thank-you cards, boxes and packing material. If you need specially printed envelopes or postcards, printing services, in Eliot Hall, can help you.
There are several things you can do to speed the delivery of your box stuffing.
- Bring it to us at least two days before the information is needed in boxes.
- Use at least 3 inch by 5 inch pieces of paper; half sheets are better.
- If the stuffer is for a selected group, write their box numbers and put the stuffing in box number order.
- Call ahead and tell mail service (extension 7214) you have something to be stuffed and when it will be ready.
- There will be no Saturday box stuffing except by specific prior arrangement.
Mail Services will not accept or allow the following types of material for insertion in the student mail boxes:
- Anonymous submissions
- Advertisements for sale of merchandise or services (except those that arrive in the U.S. mail)
- Political advertising for college, city, county, state, or federal election (except those that arrive in the U.S. mail)
- Personal statements of opinion (use the Quest)
What mail services will do:
- We will put your stuffer in the boxes same day or next day depending on when it reaches us and how busy we are. Call if your stuffer needs to go into the boxes immediately; if that is the case mail services may ask that you send someone to help with delivery.
Always use proper and complete addressing when you mail. By following the information below customers will get the very best service the Postal Service has to offer.
- Use the top line of your address for your attention line.
- Do not abbreviate city names.
- Make sure the address is left justified with a uniform left margin.
- The delivery address should be directly above the city, state, ZIP code line.
- Always include street numbers and street names.
- Always use pre-directionals and post-directionals where appropriate.
- Always include suite and apartment numbers when appropriate.
- Always include a city name and the two-letter state abbreviation.
- Always use the correct ZIP code (or the correct ZIP + 4 code if you know it).
Optical character readable mail can be sorted by USPS machinery. It is delivered much faster than hand sorted mail.
Guidelines to follow for putting your mail on the fast track
- Type or machine print all address informatio
- Format all lines of the address with a uniform left margin and aligned type
- Make sure that print is clear and sharp
- Make sure that address characters do not overlap or touch
- Do not use any punctuation in the address except for the hyphen in the ZIP + 4 code
- Use correct address abbreviations
- Do not place any printing below the city, state, ZIP code line
- Use correct 5 digit ZIP codes
To departments or faculty / staff members
To student Mail Stop
Department or Office
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd
Portland OR 97202
Reed College and MS number
3203 SE Woodstock Blvd
Portland OR 97202
Students Faculty and Staff: Leaving Reed? You need to forward your mail!
If you are leaving your on-campus mailing address (for the summer, an extended leave, or permanently) please log in here to register your forwarding address with Mail Services. We will see your mail is delivered to the new address.
FACULTY ON SABBATICAL: PLEASE MAKE MAIL FORWORDING ARRANGEMENTS WITH YOUR FACULTY SECRETARY
Oddly shaped articles - like keys, bottle caps, pens, and x-ray films - will not be accepted by the post office in letter-size, first-class envelopes. They do not fit in their machines or ours. They are okay in big envelopes (9 x 12 or larger).
To facilitate better (and quicker) processing of envelopes, please put the flaps of the letter-sized envelopes up. This is how they need to be fed into the machine.
Manila envelopes must be sealed, because the mail machine does not seal them.