Reed Leadership Academy (RELAY)
Reed Leadership Academy is Reed's semester-long student leadership program.
Approximately 20 students—self-selected or nominated by community members for application—are chosen to participate in weekly workshops. Each participant is paired with a coach from the Portland community who can help connect concepts from class to real life.
RELAY is open to all students: those who are interested in developing their leadership potential, those whose work is done out of the public eye, those who are positional leaders in student organizations and student governance, and those who are involved in other ways at Reed and in the Portland community. Everyone has the potential to be a leader no matter their role.
What is RELAY?
The Reed Leadership Academy kicks off with an overnight retreat the weekend before classes resume in the spring. During the retreat we get to know each other and learn about the basics of the program. This retreat sets us up to dive into the topics in the weekly workshops.
RELAY meets every Wednesday during spring semester from 4:30–6 p.m. Each workshop is a combination of experiential activities, lectures and class discussions. Class topics are related to our six learning outcomes:
- Compose a personal definition of leadership
- Identify the personal values that are most important to them
- Examine their own identities and cultures in relation to their practice of leadership
- Examine their application of skills and tools for effective communication
- Examine their application of skills and tools for effective collaboration
- Understand the principles of ethical civic engagement and community service
In addition to workshops, students meet with their coaches every other week to talk about the topics covered in class. Other coaching opportunities could include career advice and networking, job shadowing, advice on navigating issues within leadership contexts, and much more. Your relationship will really depend on what you and your coach decide it will be.
How do I apply to join RELAY?
The application process includes the submission of an application, resume and essay questions as well as an interview. Applications will be available in the Student Activities Office in the Student Center. Here is our 2016 timeline.
- October 3: application available
- October 31: application and resume due by 5pm in the Student Center; please sign up for an interview time in the Student Center when you submit your completed application
- November 8 & 9: interviews
- November 16: admission decisions
- December 9: welcome luncheon, noon-1:30pm
For more information about the Reed Leadership Academy, please email email@example.com.