|Class-specific resources||Recommended dictionaries|
- Oxford Language Dictionaries Online (Reed only): Chinese-English and English-Chinese dictionaries with audio of native-speaker pronunciation
- MDBG Chinese-English Dictionary
The following software is available in the Instructional Media Center:
- Learn Chinese Now! (Interactive software) PL1125.E6 L43 2002 CD-ROM
- Pinyin Table - A Chinese Pinyin table with pronunciation sound clips.
- Character Sheet Generator
- Pinyin Conversion - This site converts any Chinese text into Pinyin.
- Ting Flashcard Reader - A Flashcard system that allows you to save words to lists for later testing. A downloadable, offline version is also available. Be sure to read the directions on the webpage; if you'd like to create your own vocabulary lists for study, register for free with Ting Study Center.
- ChinesePod - 1000 podcasts for Chinese learners at all levels, from absolute beginners to advanced students, as well as other Chinese-learning materials. For login information, email Beth Platte or stop by her office (Hauser Library 38).
- Rutgers Multimedia Chinese Teaching System Useful resources for beginning, intermediate, and advanced students: reading and listening practice, as well as comprehensive drills in grammar and vocabulary.
- SocialMandarin - An online community that collects information for learning Mandarin online.
- Cojak Hanzi Dictionary - Explanation of the radicals that make up Mandarin chinese characters.
- Mandarin Tools offers online tools for learning Chinese.
- Chinese Tools converts Chinese text to HTML format.
- Arch Chinese offers various tools for practicing vocabulary and character writing.
Recommended Apps (iPhone, iPad, Android, etc.)
- Renren - a popular Chinese social networking site. There are also links for mobile apps.
- WeChat - a messaging app with public accounts on a variety of topics. The following public accounts are recommended.
- Dandu (search dandureading) - contemporary Chinese literature and book recommendations
- Oriental History Commentary (search ohistory) - articles and book excerpts on the history of the Far East
- Sijiu Cheng (search sijuicheng2014) - accounts of experiences and current events in Beijing started by university students from Beijing
- Common Chinese Idioms - Chinese App containing a dictionary of 100 common Chinese Idioms.
- Nciku Chinese Dictionary - Characters can be drawn on the touch screen, allowing for easy input into the dictionary.
- Nciku Reader - A free ebook reader that allows the user to download and read books in Chinese with built-in translation.
- Skritter Chinese - A tool helps you to learn and practice writing Chinese characters.
Recommended YouTube Channels
- Medlock Method - Language lessons that focus on useful day to day phrases.
- A Foreigner's Perspective - A Chinese speaking American explores China. Useful for both language practice and cultural exposure.
Recommended YouTube Movies
Literary and cultural resources
- Chinese fables (Wellesley College) - Audio and texts for intermediate and advanced students.
- Classic Chinese literature - A collection of chinese texts in both Mandarin and English.
- Zhongwen readings - Classic Chinese texts with character definitions.
- Chinese verse forms - Overview of Chinese poetry.
- Stefan Landsberger's Chinese propaganda poster pages
- Cultural-China - A look at China's history, literature and art.
- Bodhi tree center - Chinese Cultural Center in Portland.
- Douban FM - A radio station that plays world music, particularly Chinese and Japanese artists.
- Mei shi tian xia (美食天下) - a collection of Chinese recipes.
- Ttmeishi （天天美食) - a collection of more than 30,000 Chinese recipes.
- Chinese Cultural Studies: Pinyin/Wade-Giles Names - A list of names familiar in their Wade-Giles form and their Pinyin form. Definitely explore the rest of the site for information on Chinese culture and history.
Newspapers (in the Pollock Reading Room)
- China Daily (North American edition) = Chung kuo jih pao
- Ren min ri bao (Hai wai ban) = People's Daily (Shelved as Jen min jih pao (Hai wai pan))
- Shi jie ri bao = Chinese World
- Xin min wan bao = Xinmin Evening News (Shelved as Hsin min wan pao)
Online Newspapers and Magazines
- China Daily Online Ch/En
- China Times News Ch
- China Cultural News Ch
- Beijing Scene Ch/En
- Global Times En
- Show China News Ch/En
- Fenghuang Wang Ch
- Last Train Home (2009): A documentary chronicling the journey of two Chinese migrant factory workers on their way back home for the Chinese New year. (researched and summarized by Madison Gordon)
- Farewell, My Concubine (1993): The story of a decades-long friendship between two opera performers in the Peking Opera. (researched and summarized by Madison Gordon)
- Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress (Drama, 2002): A love sriangle unfolds between two educated, upper middle class boys and a rural Sichuan girl against the backdrop of the Chinese Cultural Revolution. (researched and summarized by Madison Gordon)
- Yahoo China （雅虎中国 ）
- Wikipedia （维基百科）
- Amazon （亚马逊）
- MSN （msn中文）
- Voice of America （美国之音中文）
- renren.com (Chinese version of Facebook--人人网)
Top 3 Universities (2012)
Top 2 Foreign Language Studies Unversities
Chinese language games
- Yellowbridge A simple memory matching game. It has preset games specifically for the different integrated Chinese textbooks.
- Digital Dialects Multiple choice games for expanding vocabulary. Organized in categories.
- BBC Languages-Chinese A character learning game. Helps you with the strokes.