International Student Services

Division of Student Services

While at Reed

Once at Reed, students are required to continue following specific immigration regulations. This process, which we often refer to as maintaining status, is vital for the student's success at Reed and in the United States. It is very important that students understand and comply with the requirements governing their stay to ensure that they don’t jeopardize their immigration status. Also, we use this page to discuss other immigration related issues such as working in the U.S. and obtaining a driver's license.

Maintaining your Immigrant Status

Staying in status is extremely important for Reed international students and you should carefuly study and understand the concepts of immigration status and the consequences of violating that status.

By violating the requirements that govern your immigration status, you may jeopardize your ability to remain in the United States as an F-1 student or J-1 exchange visitor. Some examples of violations include:

  • Failure to arrive at Reed and enroll in classes by the program start date.

  • Unauthorized employment during your stay. For more details about employment, see Working at Reed.

  • Failure to leave the United States following completion of your program, exchange visitor program, or program-related employment. For more information, see the Leaving Reed page.

  • For academic students (visa category F-1): Failure to maintain a full course load (3.0 units) without prior authorization for a reduction from your designated school official. If you begin to struggle in classes, please contact Dana Lawson or make use of the other resources on campus so we can ensure that you remain in status.

  • Please note that this is not a complete listing of potential status violations.

For more information, click here.

    Travel and Reentry to the U.S.

    Every time you decide to travel abroad, you should be familiar with travel related immigration requirements and U.S. reentry requirements. These are some things to keep in mind for international travel:

    • If you will be traveling through a different country prior to arriving home, please make sure you have reviewed its visa regulations. Sometimes travelers may need a visa even if they are simply switching planes in a country. For example, if you will be flying from Portland to Vancouver, B.C. and then from Vancouver to Tokyo, you might need to obtain a Canadian transit visa, which you would need to obtain at the Canadian consulate in Seattle. Visa needs will be dependent on your passport country, so it will vary for each individual.

    For reentry to the U.S., the following documents are required:

    • The I-20 Form, endorsed for travel and signed by Dana Lawson. Make sure you contact one of them and obtain your I-20 signature every six months or before travelling abroad.

    • A current passport valid for at least six months after the date of your reentry or, if you are from one of the countries listed here, a passport that is current through the date of reentry.

    • A valid, current visa. If your visa has expired, you will need to obtain a new one before reentering the U.S. Please contact the ISS Office for details.

    • Financial information showing proof of necessary funds to cover tuition and living expenses.

    Replacing Lost or Stolen Documents

    Though we advise you to carefully store your documents in safe locations, loss or theft of documents can happen. Here is some information about what to do when you are missing an important immigration document:

    • The I-20 can be reprinted by a school official. Please contact Dana Lawson to get your I-20 replaced. If the situation is urgent and neither of them are available, contact SEVP at In the email, give your name, your SEVIS ID number if you have it (N followed by 10 digits on your Form I-20), the name of your school, and your contact information (include your current address, telephone number, and email address if possible). Briefly describe your situation and what concerns or problems you have.

    • Passports can be replaced by your country's embassy or consulate. Please contact them for more information.

    • If you have lost your U.S. visa, contact us to obtain more information about the process of applying for new documents.

    Working at Reed

    Students on F-1 and J-1 visas are allowed to work on the Reed campus without obtaining any authorization from an ISS or IPO official. The job must not interfere with your academic work and therefore cannot exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. Students are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week when school is not in session. OPT (Optional Practical Training) is available for students who are interested in working or having intership experiences off campus. Students can only work off-campus outside of OPT if they experience serious economic hardship and special approval is required. An exception to this rule is the Summer Experience Award, which allows students to spend a summer doing an unpaid internship and still cover their living expenses. For more information about employment at Reed, contact the ISS office

    Attention: money, goods or any compensation (including housing or board) received for any off-campus employment outside of OPT at any time during an F-1 student's stay in the U.S. constitutes a serious immigration violation and might put you out of status.

    Getting a Driver's License

    Students on F-1 and J-1 visas are allowed to drive in the United States. For an introduction to rules and regulations relating to obtaining a driver's license in the U.S, click here. For consultation and help with regard to the details of the license application process, contact the Oregon DMV.

Contact International Student Services

Gray Campus Center 104
Skype: iss.reed

Dana Lawson
Assistant Dean of Students for International Student Services

Follow Us