DIVISION OF STUDENT SERVICES
International Student Services
After successfully obtaining your BA degree at Reed, there are certainly many things to think about for your transition to your new post-graduate life. The following list details your immigration options and contains important dates and details about the transition process from an immigration perspective. Following these processes will ensure that you maintain a good immigration record even after finishing your stay at Reed.
You can return home within 60 days of the program end date.
If you intend to pursue further studies at another institution, you can transfer your F-1 visa program to that institution. Contact Dana Lawson or Paul DeYoung to assist you with the process. They will require the following information:
- Confirmation of acceptance by another school with an F-1 visa program
- Name and SEVIS school code for the "transfer-in" school
- Contact information for the international adviser at the new institution
- Desired transfer release date (within 60 days of program end date)
- Post-Reed contact information
You must begin your studies at the new school within 5 months of the end of your program at Reed.
Another option is to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), which allows you to have up to 12 months of post-graduation paid employment (deduct any time in pre-graduation OPT). You can begin applying 90 days prior to the program end date, the application must be received by USCIS no later than 60 days after your program end data and the processing can take up to 3 months. The cost of the application is $380, not including photo costs and mailing costs. Detailed information about the OPT application process can be found here.
The job requirements are:
- Needs to be directly related to your area of study
- You do not need to have a job prior to applying for OPT
- The job does not need to involve paid work (it can be an unpaid internship or volunteer work)
- Full-time work means at least 20 hours
You can be unemployed for a total of 90 days during your entire OPT period. You can choose the program start date, which can be as early as the day after your program end date. Students majoring in sciences or math may have the option for an OPT extension of 17 months through a STEM OPT application.