New Employee Orientation
During your first week
- HR meeting on first day (usually at 9am). HR is located in Eliot Hall 305.
- Check with your supervisor to find out when your computer set-up and training session has been scheduled. If one has not yet been scheduled, contact computer user services via email or x7525.
- Get Reed ID from community safety
- Get key(s) to work space from facilities services (ID required)
- Tour of working environment
- Lunch at Commons with your supervisor and/or coworkers, ideally on your first day
- Introductory meetings with colleagues inside and outside your department
- Before your benefits orientation with HR, review the medical and dental plans and decide who in your family you'd like to insure
- Schedule an admission campus tour
- Set up your office space and see your dept admin to learn to order supplies
- Register your car and/or bicycle with community safety
- Sign up for the campus emergency alert system
- Subscribe to the academic and holiday calendars
- Check At Reed for a full list of campus events...attend one!
Supervisor / new employee meeting
- Discuss confidentiality and confidential info within your department, review and sign confidentiality form and return to Myesha Abdulrahman in HR
- Overview of department
- Internal payroll process—how to request time off, complete time sheets, etc.
- Discuss how often you'll meet one-on-one and schedule these on your supervisor's calendar. Most staff members meet with their supervisor weekly or every other week
- Decide which team and departmental meetings you will attend
- Feel free to ask questions about performance reviews and compensation
Tour of working environment
Tour should include:
- department and coworkers’ office
- location of bathrooms
- coffee/kitchen/nearest snacks
- mail drop points (incoming and outgoing)
- mailboxes in Eliot
- meeting rooms as applicable
- department files
- office equipment
- recycling bins
- smoking areas/policy
- first aid kit
- fire alarm pull station, fire extinguisher, nearest fire exit
- emergency assembly location
Overview of department
- Who does what and how their work impacts Reed College?
- How the employee's role fits into the department and college?
- Provide an organizational chart