Health and Counseling Services

Division of Student Services

Medical FAQs

Where is the Health and Counseling Center?
The Health and Counseling Center has moved from its previous location across from Eliot Hall to a new location at 2820 SE Steele (although the entrance is on 28th Avenue!). This is the grey building next door to 28 West on the west side of campus.

What kinds of medical professionals work at the Health and Counseling Center?
We have RNs, NPs (Nurse Practitioners), and MDs, an Acupuncturist, and a ND (Naturopathic Doctor). In Oregon, NPs practice independently, have full prescriptive privileges, and are considered first-line providers.

Is it possible to make an appointment directly with an MD or Nurse Practitioner?
Appointments are made through the receptionist; you can request a particular type of provider if you'd like.

What kinds of services are free and when might I be charged?
All visits are free. If tests are recommended there might be a fee. For instance, we can perform some rapid tests such as strep throat, mono, and urinary tract infection tests in our clinic for a minimal fee. Many students choose to have the fee placed on their tuition accounts rather than paying with cash or check. If a blood draw or X-ray is ordered then you will be referred to the appropriate clinic and those fees will be processed by that clinic through your insurance.

Do you have a billing clerk who processes insurance forms, etc.?
We do not have personnel who process insurance claims for students. We can instruct and assist you with the process but you are responsible for getting claims and receipts into the insurance company for reimbursement. We do recognize that this is a new skill for many of you and we are glad to help along the learning curve!

I've just had an STD screening and I don't want my parents to know. How confidential is the billing?
We take confidentiality very seriously. Your medical recordsare yours alone; no information is shared with others, including your parents or the person who pays for your insurance. However, while there are stringent laws governing confidentiality of medical information, we cannot control who opens your mail, such as a lab bill, at your home address.

We recommend that you list your local address when dealing with insurance billing. If you go for a blood law make sure that the lab has your local address. Have a discussion with your parents about forwarding your unopened mail to school versus "helpfully" opening it for you. All this said, we are unaware of any problems that have arisen around this issue.

What if I don't have Reed (Aetna) insurance?
Our staff treats all students regardless of insurance type. However, type of insurance can become an important issue when we assist you in referrals beyond what we can provide at the Health and Counseling Center. Insurance is complicated! We'll help you find providers who accept your insurance so that you get the care you need.

What should I expect when I go to the hospital?
See our information on the hospitals page.

Useful Links

Student Health Portal
Community Wellness
Regence Blue Cross Blue Shield

Contact Information

Medical: 503/777-7281
Counseling: 503/517-7349
Fax: 503/777-7209

To make an appointment, stop by or call.

5380 SE 28th Avenue
Portland, OR 97202

We are located in the grey building on the west side of campus just north of 28 West.

Hours of Operation
Mon, Wed, Thurs, Fri,
9 a.m.–5 p.m.

Tuesday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. (extended hours)

We are closed from noon to 1:00pm for lunch.

Walk-in Counseling Appointments
Mon - Fri at 3 p.m.

After Hours Assistance
Nurse Advice Line/Community Careline: 800/607-5501
Mental Health Assistance/Crises - ProtoCall: 866/432-1224

On campus: Community Safety: 503/788-6666 or 6666 from a campus phone

Off campus: Portland Police/Ambulance: 911