DIVISION OF STUDENT SERVICES
Health and Counseling Services
Below is a Personal Alcohol and Drug Reflection. We also have links to several other online self-assessment tools. These may be helpful to you in putting your alcohol or other drug use into perspective. No alcohol or drug screening instrument can diagnose whether you have (or whether a friend has) a problem, but sometimes a screen may help you reflect more clearly on your use.
If you are concerned about your drinking or drug use, we encourage you to explore the issues with an experienced counselor or physician. Untreated drug and alcohol problems can put you and others at risk for serious harm; it never hurts to look a little deeper.
Personal Alcohol and Drug Reflection
- Do you ever try to cut down on your drinking or drug use without success?
- Have you experienced loss of memory or blackouts while using alcohol or drugs?
- Do ever use drink or use drugs first thing in the morning to feel better?
- Do you often drink or use drugs alone?
- Do you hang out mostly with people who use alcohol or drugs?
- Do you often find yourself drinking or using drugs when you intended not to?
- Do others express concern about your drinking or drug use?
- Do you ever feel guilty about your drinking or drug use?
- Do you set out to have just one drink and find yourself drunk several drinks later?
- Have you ever been injured when drinking?
- Do you ever go to classes or work while intoxicated?
- Have you ever been in a fight while drinking?
- Do you ever drive after using drugs or alcohol?
- Have you had financial problems because of alcohol or drug use?
- Do you often find yourself embarrassed by things you did while intoxicated?
- Have you ever destroyed property when you were intoxicated?
- Have your studies or work been affected by your drinking?
- Have you ever had a sexual encounter while intoxicated that you later regretted?
- Do you avoid social gatherings where alcohol or drugs will not be available?
- Do you find yourself thinking a lot about alcohol or drugs even when not using?
- Do you spend a lot of time planning or arranging your alcohol and drug use?
- Do you feel uncomfortable if you have no access to alcohol or drugs?
If you find yourself answering yes to one or more of these questions, alcohol or drugs may be a problem for you. Several yes answers make this more likely. Please consider exploring your drug and alcohol use with an experienced counselor or physician.