Applying for Aid
Applying for Financial Aid 2014-15: Current Students
(If you are a current international student, click here)
(If you are interested in federal student or parent loans only, click here)
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by April 1, 2014. The FAFSA is an online application available at www.fafsa.gov.
- File the College Scholarship Service (CSS) PROFILE by April 1, 2014. The CSS PROFILE is an online application.
- Submit copies of your and your parents' 2013 IRS income tax returns, W-2s, 1099 statements, and the verification worksheet with the College Board IDOC service by April 15th, 2014.
- Once your taxes are submitted to the IRS for 2013, we strongly recommend that you and your parents use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to update your 2014-15 FAFSA. Students whose FAFSAs were selected for verification by the federal processors are required to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. Please note if your parents are married but filing separately, or recently separated/divorced, they may be unable to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool and will need to submit an IRS transcript of their 2013 tax return, in addition to a copy of their 2013 tax return, to College Board IDOC service. If the IDOC packet has already been submitted, the IRS transcript may also be sent directly to the Reed College Financial Aid Office. Download an IRS Data Retrieval Tool tipsheet here!
- Submit a 2014-15 Authorization to Release Information form (optional) to the financial aid office. If a student would like to release financial information to parent(s) or another party, please complete this optional form.
If you wish to check the status of your financial aid application, log in to Banner Self-Service.
Review of on time applications begins in May and decisions will be made available to you electronically beginning in early June. Late applications (those completed after May 1st) are reviewed after June 15th on a rolling, date prioritized basis.
2014-15 Financial aid deadlines for current students
|FAFSA 003217||Submit to: federal processor||Submit by April 1, 2014|
|PROFILE 4654||Submit to: College Scholarship Service (CSS)||Submit by April 1, 2014|
|Parent 2013 IRS tax return and W-2/1099s||Submit to: IDOC||Send to IDOC no later than April 15, 2014|
|Student 2013 IRS tax return and W-2/1099s||Submit to: IDOC||Send to IDOC no later than April 15, 2014|
|Verification Worksheet||Submit to: IDOC||Send to IDOC no later than April 15, 2014|
LATE APPLICATIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES:
- Applications completed by:
- May 1 – (On Time) = Full Consideration
- May 2 – July 1 = 10-40% Reduction in Reed Grant
- After July 1 – NO INSTITUTIONAL AID, federal aid only
If you are a current international student, you must file the CSS PROFILE no later than April 1, 2014 and include Reed as a recipient (code 4654).
If you are applying for Federal Direct student or parent loans only, you must submit the FAFSA, but you do not need to file the CSS PROFILE. For priority processing and to ensure that loans are set up by the start of fall semester, please file the FAFSA no later than July 1st, 2014. After your FAFSA has been reviewed, we will provide you with loan application information and notify you if any further information or documentation is required.