WOODSTOCK LANGUAGE HOUSES
These four houses, designed by A.E. Doyle and built in 1922, were once home to faculty. Current residents of the Woodstock houses-students who demonstrate second-year language proficiency-converse primarily in that language, aided by live-in language scholars and native-speaking students. The Russian, German, French, and Spanish houses (west to east) sponsor campuswide cultural events including film festivals, meals, and concerts. In front of the German house to the southwest is a Black Oak (Quercus velutina) that has achieved the heritage tree designation (the finest example of its kind in Portland).