Facilities Services

Cerf amphitheater

CERF AMPITHEATRE

The "Barry Cerf memorial theatre and garden area," or amphitheatre, was constructed in 1936 with the aid of the National Youth Administration. Commencement ceremonies were held here-in good weather-until 1970, when seating requirements made it necessary to move the function to its current site on the south lawn by Eliot Hall. The amphitheatre was rebuilt in 1988 and continues to be the setting for various college performances, including an annual Greek theatre festival.

Barry Cerf, Reed professor of comparative literature from 1921 to 1948, was instrumental in developing Reed's humanities course and was active in community music and theatre programs.