Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. Which of the following statements is true?
- You can see and feel radiation.
- In rooms containing radioactive materials, these materials will be stored safely.
- Someone is always present when experiments use x-rays.
- Radiation is one of the most difficult hazards to control.
2. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to distance?
- Get as close as you need to
- Get as close as you can. A little radiation is good for you
- Keep as far away as possible, but at least 6 feet
- Distance is not a part of ALARA
3. Whom can you call in an emergency?
- Melinda Krahenbuhl
- Community Safety
- Kathleen Fisher
- All of the above
4. Support staff and Community Safety should be aware of the principles of ALARA. What is ALARA?
- A kind of radiation alarm
- Acronym for As Low As Reasonably Achievable
- The assumption that the risk from radiation is low
- Acronym for American League of Assistant Radiation Associates
5. Which three basic techniques should be used for radiation protection?
- Time, Distance, and Safety
- Time, Direction, and Shielding
- Time, Distance, and Shielding
- Time, Direction, and Safety
6. Areas where radioactive materials are used are regularly tested for contamination (radiation where it does not belong).
7. Which of these areas on campus uses radioactive materials?
- Biology Building
- Chemistry Building
- All of the above
8. Whom should you consult if you have safety concerns regarding radiation safety?
- Your supervisor
- The RSO
- The reactor director
- a and b
9. All rooms containing equipment that produces X-rays will be labeled.
10. Which of these signs indicates a radioactive hazard?