Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. With the concept of ALARA, which of the following could provide good shielding from radiation?
- A wall or door
- Your clothes provide enough shielding
- Safety goggles
- Nothing can shield you from radiation
2. In an area with the sign "Caution Radiation Area," you may remove trash that is NOT labeled radioactive.
3. What are your responsibilities around radioactive materials?
- Recognizing posted signs, identifying hazards and safeguards, and reporting problems.
- Identifying hazards and safeguards, cleaning up spills, and storing materials safely.
- Cleaning up spills, recognizing posted signs, and reporting problems.
- Identifying hazards and safeguards, reporting problems, and storing materials safely.
4. Which of the following statements is true?
- You can see and feel radiation.
- In rooms containing radioactive materials, these materials will be stored safely.
- Someone is always present when experiments use x-rays.
- Radiation is one of the most difficult hazards to control.
5. All rooms containing equipment that produces X-rays will be labeled.
6. Who is the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO)?
- Melinda Krahenbuhl
- Ed McFarlane
- Community Safety
- Kathleen Fisher
7. Which three basic techniques should be used for radiation protection?
- Time, Distance, and Safety
- Time, Direction, and Shielding
- Time, Distance, and Shielding
- Time, Direction, and Safety
8. Which of these areas on campus uses radioactive materials?
- Biology Building
- Chemistry Building
- All of the above
9. What does RSO stand for?
- Reactor Safety Overseer
- Radiation Safety Officer
- Radiation Safeguard Options
- Radioactive Storage Office
10. The guiding principle of radiation protection is to avoid all unnecessary:
- Warning signs