Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. All packages used to transport radioactive materials are labeled.
2. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to time?
- Spend as much time as you need in the area
- Spend as much time as possible in the area
- Spend as little time as possible in the area
- Time is not a component of ALARA
3. With the concept of ALARA, which of the following could provide good shielding from radiation?
- A wall or door
- Your clothes provide enough shielding
- Safety goggles
- Nothing can shield you from radiation
4. Is safety from radiation during pregnancy a serious concern?
- Yes, and any employee must consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, but any employee may consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, and no additional information is needed or available
- Yes, but no additional information is needed or available
5. Areas where radioactive materials are used are regularly tested for contamination (radiation where it does not belong).
6. What is the telephone number for Community Safety?
7. Whom should you consult if you have safety concerns regarding radiation safety?
- Your supervisor
- The RSO
- The reactor director
- a and b
8. Which of the following statements is true?
- You can see and feel radiation.
- In rooms containing radioactive materials, these materials will be stored safely.
- Someone is always present when experiments use x-rays.
- Radiation is one of the most difficult hazards to control.
9. In an area with the sign "Caution Radiation Area," you may remove trash that is NOT labeled radioactive.
10. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to distance?
- Get as close as you need to
- Get as close as you can. A little radiation is good for you
- Keep as far away as possible, but at least 6 feet
- Distance is not a part of ALARA