Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to time?
- Spend as much time as you need in the area
- Spend as much time as possible in the area
- Spend as little time as possible in the area
- Time is not a component of ALARA
2. All packages used to transport radioactive materials are labeled.
3. Is safety from radiation during pregnancy a serious concern?
- Yes, and any employee must consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, but any employee may consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, and no additional information is needed or available
- Yes, but no additional information is needed or available
4. Does routine cleaning occur in rooms with radiation-producing machines?
- Yes, but it is only done by authorized users of radioactive materials
- No, cleaning only occurs if there is a spill
- No, it is too dangerous to clean in these rooms
5. What does RSO stand for?
- Reactor Safety Overseer
- Radiation Safety Officer
- Radiation Safeguard Options
- Radioactive Storage Office
6. Which of the following statements is false?
- You may work in an area with a sign reading "Caution Radioactive Material" if requested and authorized by the Radiation Safety Officer.
- You may eat lunch in an area where radioactive materials are stored if they are tightly sealed up.
- You need permission and safety instructions to enter a room with X-ray equipment.
- You may NOT smoke in an area posted as "Radioactive Materials."
7. What colors are the warning signs for radioactive materials and radiation areas?
- yellow and magenta
- yellow and black
- yellow and red
- all of the above are possible.
8. Which of the following statements is true?
- You can see and feel radiation.
- In rooms containing radioactive materials, these materials will be stored safely.
- Someone is always present when experiments use x-rays.
- Radiation is one of the most difficult hazards to control.
9. If you find a spill in an area posted as containing "Radioactive Materials," whom should you contact?
- The Radiation Safety Officer
- Your supervisor
- Community Safety
- a and/or b
10. Why don’t ancillary personnel have to wear a personal radiation monitoring device?
- Their exposures are so low that it isn’t necessary
- It would be too costly
- Only reactor employees are legally required to wear them
- They only need to be worn around alpha emitters