Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. Which of these signs indicates a radioactive hazard?
2. Whom can you call in an emergency?
- Melinda Krahenbuhl
- Community Safety
- Kathleen Fisher
- All of the above
3. Is safety from radiation during pregnancy a serious concern?
- Yes, and any employee must consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, but any employee may consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, and no additional information is needed or available
- Yes, but no additional information is needed or available
4. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to distance?
- Get as close as you need to
- Get as close as you can. A little radiation is good for you
- Keep as far away as possible, but at least 6 feet
- Distance is not a part of ALARA
5. Which of these areas on campus uses radioactive materials?
- Biology Building
- Chemistry Building
- All of the above
6. Support staff and Community Safety should be aware of the principles of ALARA. What is ALARA?
- A kind of radiation alarm
- Acronym for As Low As Reasonably Achievable
- The assumption that the risk from radiation is low
- Acronym for American League of Assistant Radiation Associates
7. What are your responsibilities around radioactive materials?
- Recognizing posted signs, identifying hazards and safeguards, and reporting problems.
- Identifying hazards and safeguards, cleaning up spills, and storing materials safely.
- Cleaning up spills, recognizing posted signs, and reporting problems.
- Identifying hazards and safeguards, reporting problems, and storing materials safely.
8. Which of the following statements is true?
- You can see and feel radiation.
- In rooms containing radioactive materials, these materials will be stored safely.
- Someone is always present when experiments use x-rays.
- Radiation is one of the most difficult hazards to control.
9. In a room with a sign reading "Caution Radioactive Material", which of the following are you permitted to do?
- Handle bags labeled "radioactive material".
- Clean up a spill if you see one.
- Wipe down surfaces daily.
- None of the above.
10. Besides notifying your supervisor and/or the Radiation Safety Officer, what should you do if you find a spill in an area posted as "Radioactive Materials"?
- Clean it up
- Investigate how the spill occurred
- Close the door
- Ignore it and continue what you were doing