Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. Support staff and Community Safety should be aware of the principles of ALARA. What is ALARA?
- A kind of radiation alarm
- Acronym for As Low As Reasonably Achievable
- The assumption that the risk from radiation is low
- Acronym for American League of Assistant Radiation Associates
2. Which of these areas on campus uses radioactive materials?
- Biology Building
- Chemistry Building
- All of the above
3. What are your responsibilities around radioactive materials?
- Recognizing posted signs, identifying hazards and safeguards, and reporting problems.
- Identifying hazards and safeguards, cleaning up spills, and storing materials safely.
- Cleaning up spills, recognizing posted signs, and reporting problems.
- Identifying hazards and safeguards, reporting problems, and storing materials safely.
4. If you find a spill in an area posted as containing "Radioactive Materials," whom should you contact?
- The Radiation Safety Officer
- Your supervisor
- Community Safety
- a and/or b
5. Whom should you consult if you have safety concerns regarding radiation safety?
- Your supervisor
- The RSO
- The reactor director
- a and b
6. All rooms containing equipment that produces X-rays will be labeled.
7. Is safety from radiation during pregnancy a serious concern?
- Yes, and any employee must consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, but any employee may consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, and no additional information is needed or available
- Yes, but no additional information is needed or available
8. The guiding principle of radiation protection is to avoid all unnecessary:
- Warning signs
9. In a room with a sign reading "Caution Radioactive Material", which of the following are you permitted to do?
- Handle bags labeled "radioactive material".
- Clean up a spill if you see one.
- Wipe down surfaces daily.
- None of the above.
10. Every person receives a measurable radiation dose each year.