Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. All packages used to transport radioactive materials are labeled.
2. Does routine cleaning occur in rooms with radiation-producing machines?
- Yes, but it is only done by authorized users of radioactive materials
- No, cleaning only occurs if there is a spill
- No, it is too dangerous to clean in these rooms
3. Areas where radioactive materials are used are regularly tested for contamination (radiation where it does not belong).
4. Support staff and Community Safety should be aware of the principles of ALARA. What is ALARA?
- A kind of radiation alarm
- Acronym for As Low As Reasonably Achievable
- The assumption that the risk from radiation is low
- Acronym for American League of Assistant Radiation Associates
5. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to time?
- Spend as much time as you need in the area
- Spend as much time as possible in the area
- Spend as little time as possible in the area
- Time is not a component of ALARA
6. Whom should you consult if you have safety concerns regarding radiation safety?
- Your supervisor
- The RSO
- The reactor director
- a and b
7. With the concept of ALARA, which of the following could provide good shielding from radiation?
- A wall or door
- Your clothes provide enough shielding
- Safety goggles
- Nothing can shield you from radiation
8. Whom can you call in an emergency?
- Melinda Krahenbuhl
- Community Safety
- Kathleen Fisher
- All of the above
9. Every person receives a measurable radiation dose each year.
10. Which of the following statements is true?
- You can see and feel radiation.
- In rooms containing radioactive materials, these materials will be stored safely.
- Someone is always present when experiments use x-rays.
- Radiation is one of the most difficult hazards to control.