Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to distance?
- Get as close as you need to
- Get as close as you can. A little radiation is good for you
- Keep as far away as possible, but at least 6 feet
- Distance is not a part of ALARA
2. Areas where radioactive materials are used are regularly tested for contamination (radiation where it does not belong).
3. The guiding principle of radiation protection is to avoid all unnecessary:
- Warning signs
4. What does RSO stand for?
- Reactor Safety Overseer
- Radiation Safety Officer
- Radiation Safeguard Options
- Radioactive Storage Office
5. Which of these signs indicates a radioactive hazard?
6. Does routine cleaning occur in rooms with radiation-producing machines?
- Yes, but it is only done by authorized users of radioactive materials
- No, cleaning only occurs if there is a spill
- No, it is too dangerous to clean in these rooms
7. With the concept of ALARA, which of the following could provide good shielding from radiation?
- A wall or door
- Your clothes provide enough shielding
- Safety goggles
- Nothing can shield you from radiation
8. Which of the following statements is false?
- You may work in an area with a sign reading "Caution Radioactive Material" if requested and authorized by the Radiation Safety Officer.
- You may eat lunch in an area where radioactive materials are stored if they are tightly sealed up.
- You need permission and safety instructions to enter a room with X-ray equipment.
- You may NOT smoke in an area posted as "Radioactive Materials."
9. What colors are the warning signs for radioactive materials and radiation areas?
- yellow and magenta
- yellow and black
- yellow and red
- all of the above are possible.
10. Whom can you call in an emergency?
- Melinda Krahenbuhl
- Community Safety
- Kathleen Fisher
- All of the above