Reed College Ancillary Personnel Radiation Safety Training Test
SCORE ________ (80% = pass)
Print name: _______________________________ Date: ______________
Signature: _________________________________ Reed ID: ___________
1. Support staff and Community Safety should be aware of the principles of ALARA. What is ALARA?
- A kind of radiation alarm
- Acronym for As Low As Reasonably Achievable
- The assumption that the risk from radiation is low
- Acronym for American League of Assistant Radiation Associates
2. Which of these areas on campus uses radioactive materials?
- Biology Building
- Chemistry Building
- All of the above
3. Which three basic techniques should be used for radiation protection?
- Time, Distance, and Safety
- Time, Direction, and Shielding
- Time, Distance, and Shielding
- Time, Direction, and Safety
4. Who is the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO)?
- Melinda Krahenbuhl
- Ed McFarlane
- Community Safety
- Kathleen Fisher
5. With the concept of ALARA, what technique should be used with regard to distance?
- Get as close as you need to
- Get as close as you can. A little radiation is good for you
- Keep as far away as possible, but at least 6 feet
- Distance is not a part of ALARA
6. What colors are the warning signs for radioactive materials and radiation areas?
- yellow and magenta
- yellow and black
- yellow and red
- all of the above are possible.
7. In an area with the sign "Caution Radiation Area," you may remove trash that is NOT labeled radioactive.
8. With the concept of ALARA, which of the following could provide good shielding from radiation?
- A wall or door
- Your clothes provide enough shielding
- Safety goggles
- Nothing can shield you from radiation
9. Is safety from radiation during pregnancy a serious concern?
- Yes, and any employee must consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, but any employee may consult with the Radiation Safety officer
- No, and no additional information is needed or available
- Yes, but no additional information is needed or available
10. Which of the following statements is true?
- You can see and feel radiation.
- In rooms containing radioactive materials, these materials will be stored safely.
- Someone is always present when experiments use x-rays.
- Radiation is one of the most difficult hazards to control.