Note: As of 2016, the EZProxy is being used for remote access to the library databases. The instructions below are for temporary access if a database is not immediately supported with EZProxy.
- Stop! Do you really need to do this? Have you checked out the new EZProxy? If the database isn't yet supported with the EZProxy, proceed with the steps below.
- Open up Firefox.
- Open the Preferences window.
- on a Mac, click the Firefox menu, and choose Preferences.
- on a PC, click the Tools menu, and choose Options.
- Click the Advanced icon at the top right.
- Click the Network tab. You'll see the "Connection" area near the top of this window. Where it says "Configure how Firefox connects to the Internet" click the Settings... button.
- In the window that pops up, click the button to select Automatic proxy configuration URL.
- Type http://www.reed.edu/cgi-bin/pac.cgi on the blank line, and then click OK. Click on the red button to close out of the advanced settings window.
- Completely close your browser.
- For Mac users, go to the Firefox menu and choose Quit Firefox.
- For PC users, close all Firefox browser windows.
The next time you start Firefox, it will automatically use the Remote Access Proxy server.
- Go to Settings and click on Wi-Fi.
- Click on the little blue arrow next to the network you're connected to.
- Look for the HTTP Proxy section near the bottom and click on Auto.
- In the URL box, enter: http://www.reed.edu/cgi-bin/pac.cgi
- You may need to turn off Wi-Fi and back on again before the proxy will work.
Note: Some non-browser apps that use http (like Bookends on Tap, for example) may not work properly when the proxy is enabled.