Bug Fix for Mail in OS X 10.2
Carry out the following steps if you are running Mail in OS X 10.2 "Jaguar". To determine whether your machine has Jaguar installed, click the Apple menu in the upper left hand corner of the screen. Then select "About This Mac". If your version number begins with 10.2, you should follow these steps to ensure that your IMAP account functions properly.
- Launch Mail. Open the Mail menu and select Preferences.
- Click Add Account. We need to set up a phony account to make Mail play nice with IMAP.
- In the Accounts window, fill in fake information for all the fields. Do not click OK yet. An example of fake information is given below.
- Select the Advanced tab and check the box saying Enable this account Also, uncheck the box beside Include when automatically checking for new mail Click OK and close the Accounts window.
Mail should now work properly on the IMAP system.
Folders are a feature of IMAP that may be used to help organize your e-mails. To creat a new folder, follow these steps:
- Locate your mailboxes. If you cannot see any folders, open the View menu and select Show Mailboxes. Click on the triangle to the left of In and a list will appear showing all mail accounts. If there is no triangle to the left of In, you need to perform a Bugfix.
- Ctrl (or right) click on your Inbox and a popup menu will appear. Select New.
- For Location, select the name of your account name (not On My Mac). Type in a new name for the mailbox and click OK. Note that your new mailbox appears on the list. To see the list, click Mailboxes in the toolbar.
Select the message(s) you want to move (hold down Ctrl while clicking to select multiple, non-consecutive messages) and drag them to the mailbox you wish to move them to. If you do not see a mailbox list as shown below, click the Mailboxes icon. Immediately after dragging, your messages should appear in the new mailbox.
Sent Mail, Trash, and Drafts
Mail allows you to designate certain IMAP folders to certain functions. For example, you can have Mail save a copy of every message you send into a special folder called Sent.
- Locate your mailboxes. If you cannot see any folders, open the View menu and select Show Mailboxes. Click the triangle to the left of In and a list will appear with all of the mailboxes in your IMAP account.
- Select the mailbox you wish to include. For example, we can designate a pre-existing mailbox to serve as Trash.
- Open the Mailbox menu. From the Use Selected (or This) Mailbox For menu, select the function you wish this mailbox to serve.
Viewing a Shared Mailbox
- Find the appropriately named shared folder in the Mailbox panel.
- Click the arrow next to the folder to expand it. Navigate to the mailbox you want to read.
- Click the message you want to open. It will appear in the mail window.