Setting Up Mail on OS X
This page will guide you through setting up Apple Mail on OS X 10.7 "Lion", OS X 10.8 "Mountain Lion", and earlier versions. Apple Mail is only available on OS X. If you are looking for help with using Apple Mail, you may be more interested in our guide to using Apple Mail.
Setting Up Mail in OS X 10.7 "Lion"
- To begin, launch Mail by clicking its icon (see icon to the right), found either in the Dock, or in your Applications folder.
- If you are launching Mail for the first time, you should be presented with a window resembling the one shown below. Note that the "username" indicated in this screenshots refers to your Kerberos username. In order to continue with the setup, you will need to know your network username and password. If you are uncertain of either, please feel free to e-mail CUS or call us at x7525.
- The new window will allow you to choose what kind of e-mail account you wish to set up. For Reed accounts, select
IMAP from the
Account Type dialogue. You can enter the account description according to personal preferences. If you plan on having multiple accounts, it is advisable to keep your account descriptions unique for each account. Enter the incoming mail server information as imap.reed.edu and also enter your email address and password.
- After clicking
Continue, you will be taken to the
Outgoing Mail Server window. Enter
smtp.reed.edu as the
Outgoing Mail Server. Check the
Use Authentication box and enter your network username and password.
Click Continue to proceed.
- The next dialogue should be the Outgoing Mail Security page. Check Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and select Password from the dropdown menu.
- Finally, you will be presented with a summary window showing your current configuration. Clicking Create will finish setup and take you out of the wizard.
- In the Mail menu, select Preferences. You will see the following window. Click on the Accounts tab.
- The panel should show the information that you entered in
Step 1. Under the SMTP dropdown dialogue, choose Edit SMTP Server Settings. In the window that follows, click the tab that reads Advanced.
Check the Server Port in the field above the SSL check box. Set it to 587 if it isn't already. Click OK to store the settings.
- Next, select the
Composing tab. If prompted, save your changes. Make sure that the box next to
"Automatically complete addresses" is checked, and then click
- Click the button marked with a + symbol: .
- In the window titled
Server Info, enter the following information as shown, without extra spaces.
- Name: Reed LDAP Server
- Server: ldap.reed.edu
- Search Base: ou=people,dc=reed,dc=edu
- Port: 389
Setting Up New Accounts on Mail in OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
- Launch Mail and open the Mail menu. Select Preferences.
- Select the Accounts tab. Then click on the button with the + symbol: . This will open the New Account Wizard.
- Follow the instructions beginning with Step 2 to set up a new account for the Reed network.
Now that you've finished setting up Apple Mail, you may be more interested in our guide to using Apple Mail.