It is possible to transfer data from an old iPad to a new one, using either iTunes or iCloud.
If the new iPad has already been set up, and you still wish to migrate, you will have to first reset your new iPad to factory defaults. Keep in mind that you will lose any data on the iPad when you wipe it. To restore defaults, tap "Settings" > "General" > "Reset" > "Erase All Content and Settings".
Transferring Data from Old to New iPad with iCloudThis tutorial assumes that iCloud has been set up on both iPads.
The time it takes the transfer to complete depends on both the amount of data being transferred and the speed of the internet connection being used. Check that a fast wifi connection is available, and allow the transfer to finish uninterrupted.
From the Old iPad
- In ''Settings'', tap on ''iCloud'', then tap on ''Storage & Backup".
- Tap on "Back Up Now" to start the backup.
- Once the backup has completed, the old iPad is no longer needed.
From the New iPad
- Navigate to the "Set Up iPad" screen. Tap "Restore from iCloud Backup", and then tap "Next".
- Login to your iCloud account, and choose the most recent backup.
- Finally, tap on "Restore" to transfer the backup from iCloud to the new iPad.
Transferring Data from Old to New iPad using iTunes
Migration via iTunes tends to be faster than migration via iCloud, since the former method does not require an internet connection. Rather, a computer with iTunes installed is used to transfer data between iPads.
With the Old iPad
- Launch iTunes, and connect the old iPad to the computer.
- Right-click the iPad in the iTunes sidebar and choose "Back Up".
- Wait for the backup to finish. Keep iTunes open, but disconnect the old iPad from the computer.
With the New iPad
- Navigate to the "Set Up iPad" screen, and choose "Restore from iTunes Backup". Then tap "Next".
- Connect the new iPad to the computer. Right-click the iPad in the iTunes sidebar and select "Restore from Backup". Choose the most recent backup from the menu that appears.
- Click "Continue", and wait for the restore to finish. Do not disconnect the iPad until the transfer is completed and the iPad has rebooted.