Optical Character Recognition (OCR)
Scanning the text
Using either our scanning directions for the IRCs (found here) or image capture,
- Get a preview of the page to be scanned
- Select the area to be scanned and press the scan button.
- Make sure to save the scan as a TIFF file. Omnipage Pro X can only read the TIFF format.
Using Omnipage Pro X to scan the TIFF
Once you have saved your scanned page(s) as TIFF files, open Omnipage Pro X.
- Open the tiffs by clicking Load Image and browsing to them. You can also drag images onto the application icon on the dock.
- Once the image is shown, you can select the text areas, or just let Omnipage do its best by clicking the Perform OCR button.
- Once you have the text, you can copy and paste it into Word for editing. OCR is not perfect, so there may be spelling errors etc. Scanning again at a higher resolution may help, or selecting smaller areas to recognize.