Computing & Information Services
User Support Specialist
Department: Computer User Services
Reports to: Director of Computer User Services
Classification: Regular, full-time
Last Revised: 12/12/2012
The Senior User Support Specialist (SUSS) is a senior staff member at the CUS Help Desk. The SUSS provides leadership and training to the User Support Specialist, and assists with the training and supervision of CUS student employees as they guide users through first and second level problem solving.
Via phone, email and in-person consultations, the SUSS applies systems analysis techniques and procedures to determine appropriate solutions to technical problems for students, faculty and academic staff. This includes: Tutoring of students and faculty in the use of operating system and application software, including ongoing technical training; applying technical expertise to determine appropriate hardware, software and system specifications to meet the needs of users and the college; regular work at the command line, applying Linux/UNIX software tools, writing Linux/UNIX shell scripts, and other technical tasks.
The SUSS administers CUS servers and services critical to operations, including the update server for lab computers, the software license management server, the print billing server and campus-accessible virtual machines. The SUSS is also responsible for the design, creation, testing, documentation and maintenance of operating system images and software applications for hundreds of managed campus computers.
The SUSS works with others at Reed to manage highly varied IT projects with a large impact, including development, monitoring, communication, and implementation.
- Provide top-tier technical support for faculty, students, and staff for Macintosh, Windows, and Linux/UNIX operating systems and applications.
- Consult with faculty to support teaching, learning and research through the effective use of technology.
- Administer critical CUS servers and services.
- Design, create, test, document and maintain lab computing resources for campus access, in collaboration with faculty, students, departmental staff, and others in CIS.
- Develop and maintain shell scripts as needed.
- Develop and present training materials to users.
- Create and maintain online and printed technical documentation.
- Work closely with others in CUS to analyze and troubleshoot myriad software and hardware problems.
- Work closely with faculty and staff in the development, testing, monitoring deployment and support of campus-wide IT projects.
- Train and assist in supervision of student employees.
- 5 years experience with faculty, student and staff technical support in an academic setting.
- Excellent communication and other interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and a high degree of self-motivation.
- Broad knowledge of Macintosh, Windows and Linux/UNIX systems and application software.
- Some experience administering Linux-based servers.
- Advanced knowledge of Internet resources and methods of accessing them.
- Broad understanding of IT services used in undergraduate liberal arts college environments such as Reed's.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or equivalent work experience.