Reed College Catalog
A major for those who think of drama as the union of complementary disciplines, this program should appeal to the student interested in playwriting, dramaturgy and performance, as well as to those who intend to write literary criticism with an emphasis on dramatic literature.
Requirements for the Major
- Humanities 210, 220, or 230 (may be used to fulfill Group B or X).
- Proficiency in a foreign language at the second-year level.
- Five units of literature, two of which must be nondramatic literature, two of which must be dramatic literature (including one unit of Shakespeare) and one of which must be a 300-level literature course in a department other than English.
- One unit of music, dance, or art.
- Five units of theatre, including Theatre 202, 210, 250, 260 and 331.
- Literature-Theatre 470 (thesis).
Completion of Theatre 162 requirement. See explanation in the theatre department section of the catalog.
Junior Qualifying Examination/Thesis
Students electing a major in literature–theatre are examined by the two departments in the second semester of the junior year. On the basis of this review, it will be determined whether a student will be admitted to senior standing and may undertake a research-centered thesis project or a project that integrates research with production. Performance on the exam as well as within departmental courses will affect the nature and scope of the thesis project. Students have undertaken production projects in playwriting, directing, acting, design, and dramaturgy.