DIVISION OF STUDENT SERVICES
Winter Externship Program
Welcome to Reed College Winter Externships, a program designed to help current Reed students gain knowledge of workplace skills and opportunities as they plan for their transition from college-to-career.
Academics at Reed College are arguably among the most rigorous anywhere. Reed College Winter Externships along with a variety of experiential programs and career resources, including the Reed College Summer Internship Advantage Initiative, provide a wide range of practical and applied experiences to augment the academic program and to help ensure that Reedies are equipped for a successful transition from college-to-career. The Winter Externship Program offers short-term opportunities, ranging from two days to two weeks during the break between semesters in January, for students to explore and gain appreciation and understanding of a particular business, organization, or industry and the job functions within them. These externships also provide a foundation for students, alumni, parents, and other individual and organizational Reed partners to build and strengthen connections. We hope that some of the short-term externships might develop into longer term relationships such as a summer internship, continued correspondence, and post-graduation opportunities.
If you are a prospective Externship Sponsor (host), please click the following link to be directed to the Sponsor page. Thank you so much for your interest! Reed Winter Externship Sponsor Information.
Externships take place in multiple cities January's winter break. In 2014, the program runs from January 6 through 17. Students do not receive compensation for participation in Reed Externships.
It is not essential for you to have expertise in a given area. It IS essential that you show true interest in learning more about the field represented by the sponsor of the externship you choose.
Examples of Externship Activities
- Explore career paths within the company/organization
- Meet with colleagues and staff of your sponsor for informational interviews
- Observe interactions with customers or clients
- Meet with decision makers
- Tour facilities
- Attend company staff meetings
- Assist with projects or tasks
- Visit the Reed Winter Externships page on the career services web site.
- Make your choice of externships by the deadline.
- Upload a .pdf version of your resume no later than 12 p.m. Tuesday, October 15.*
- After your resume and application are received, career services may suggest revisions in your application materials.
- Make suggested revisions after career services reviews your materials and resubmit by 12 p.m., Tuesday, October 22.
- Placement notification takes place through email by day's end on Tuesday, October 29.
*PLEASE name your resume using the following convention: first initial_last name_externship title_monthyear EXAMPLE: BHunter_ShrtStryWriting_1_2014.pdf
All accepted Reed Winter Externs must attend one of the two Reed Externship sessions. Those meeting dates will be announced in fall '13.
CURRENT TIMELINE FOR REED EXTERNSHIP PROGRAM
- ******** Applications for January 2014 are due: 12 p.m. noon, Tuesday, October 15. ********
- MAKE SURE TO COMPLETE THE ONLINE FORM
- Placement notification: Notification will occur through email by day's end on Tuesday, October 29.
- Mandatory Reed Winter Externship info sessions will be scheduled soon.
We will post next year's externship opportunities in early fall of 2013.