April 21st & 28th
PIZZA provided by SUZY
BEHAVIOR TOPIC # 9:
Widemo (1998) Alternative reproductive strategies in the ruff, Philomachus pugnax: a mixed ESS?. Animal Behavior. 56: 329–336.
Lamichhaney et al (2016) Structural genomic changes underlie alternative reproductive strategies in the ruff (Philomachus pugnax) Nature Genetics 48:84-88.
Also check out Kupper et al (2016) that did the same thing with a slightly different approach
Questions for reading (students must turn in sets 4 throughout semester)
1. Make a list of terms and definitions you don’t know.
2. Choose one figure and describe it in depth.
3. Choose a figure you didn’t like, or one that you did and remake it.
4. Why were females and young birds used?
5. Do you agree with their conclusion that satellites arose from a single recombination event?
6. Were you satisfied with this study? Why or why not?
MINI GRANT IDEA PROPOSAL (oral only)
think of all the papers we have read, what is the next study that should be done to follow up on one of those. Think about what questions you would answer, what techniques you would use and what results you would predict. Each student will then have 5 minutes and a white board marker to convince the class that theirs is the "best" research project to fund.