April 14th & 21st Madeline
SNACKS & Who is Who: James Ryan
BEHAVIOR TOPIC # 8:
Sapolsky (2005) The Influence of Social Hierarchy
on Primate Health. Science 308:648-652.
Tung et al (2012) Social environment is associated with gene regulatory
variation in the rhesus macaque immune system. PNAS 109:6490–6495.
Questions for reading (students must turn in sets 4 throughout semester):
- Terms and definitions
- What is the hypothesis of this study and how might it relate to our society?
- How does what have learned previously about social insects support their hypothesis?
- What percent of tissue composition, glucocorticoid signaling and DNA methylation patterns contributed to the effect of rank-gene association on the expression level of ‘rank genes’? Which results most strongly support the hypothesis?
- Did their hypothesis hold true for individuals who had shifted rank? How do they show that it does or doesn’t?
- Pick a graph of group of graphs (from main paper or SI) and summarize its meaning and relevance to the paper?
- What implications does this study have for our society? Did you find it convincing? Why or why not?