Corrine and C.L.M. Pouteau Fund Travel Grants for French Study Abroad
The Reed College French Department is pleased to announce the availability of stipends for study of French in foreign countries.
Thanks to a generous gift from Yolande C. Orr, whose parents, Corinne and C.L.M. Pouteau, taught French at Reed College from 1928 to 1949, a stipend of up to $1500 is available to support travel and study in a French-speaking country, either during the school year or over the summer break.
- The stipends will be awarded on a competitive basis, with preference given to students with a proven commitment to French studies and a strong proposal of study. Awards will be made only in those years in which there are candidates who clearly merit the distinction.
- Preference for proposals will be given in the following order:
- A project in French or Francophone literary or cultural studies, particularly one that fits with the student’s major at Reed;
- A project that articulates its importance to the student’s major at Reed and requires study in France or a Francophone country for its completion;
- A project that would improve the student’s French language skills, articulated as a part of the student’s major (NB: French immersion in and of itself is not sufficient justification for the grant).
- If the student will be affiliated with a program or an organization, evidence of preliminary contact with the program or organization should be provided as part of the proposal.
- Students from any discipline may apply. Applicants must be undergraduates enrolled at Reed College as of February 15 in the year of application and who will be returning to Reed the next academic year.
- At completion of the travel, students are expected to write a brief report describing their activities and the way travel funded by the Pouteau grant advanced their education.
- Electronic applications are preferred and should be submitted to Trina L. McLaughlin (email@example.com) by noon on February 15, Applications should include the following information:
- Full name, address, and email
- List of current and past French courses, at Reed and elsewhere
- Account of relevant prior experience or study in a French-speaking country
- A project description including:
- country or countries to be visited
- dates of proposed travel
- program of study to be undertaken
- foreign institutions or programs to be attended
- rationale showing how the study abroad will fit into the student’s educational career at Reed and beyond
- a budget of projected expenses highlighting the amount requested from the Pouteau Travel Grant
At completion of the travel, students are expected to write a brief report describing their activities and the way travel funded by the Pouteau grant advanced their education.
For information or clarification contact the French Department Office, Trina L. McLaughlin Educational Technology Center 112B. Phone: 503/517-7492. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org