Internship Advantage Initiative
The Reed College Internship Advantage program places first-, second-, and third-year Reedies in eight- to-ten-week, paid summer interships with for-profit comapnies. Part-time opportunities are available during the academic year.
Internships are a meaningful way to explore your career options, and paid interns have a distinct advantage in the job market after graduation. A survey conducted in 2012 by the National Association of Colleges and Employers found that
- approximately 60 percent of 2012 college graduates who had secured paid internships received at least one job offer;
- graduates with unpaid internships fared only slightly better in getting job offers than graduates who had not taken part in an internship;
- 64 percent of students with paid internships in the for-profit sector earned job offers, compared to 38.3 percent of their unpaid peers.
Through Internship Advantage opportunities, you wil do the following and more:
- take theory into practice
- gain work experience
- evaluate the "fit" of a certain career
- get an edge in the job market
- meet professionals in fields of interest who may become mentors, referral sources
- build your resume
- learn to manage successes and challenges
Check out available Internship Advantage opportunities, and if one sparks your interest, apply. Once you submit an online application, a staff member from the Center for Life Beyond Reed will get in touch with you to talk through your application and make it as strong as possible.
If you are interested in unpaid volunteer opportunities, there are many options available through Students for Education, Empowerment, and Direct Service (SEEDS).