Class year: 1978
Company/organization: CGMEDIA Web Design and Production
Job title: Owner/Founder
Company URL: www.cgmedia.com
How did you get where you are? (e.g., education, brief work history, mentors)
- Majored in Theater at Reed (74-78) with an emphasis on directing and creative dramatics/improv/children's theater; transferred to Portland State University to finish BA in Film and Video at the PSU Center for the Moving Image.
- Independent video producer with Cablesystems Pacific and Portland Public Schools, multiple grants, NW Coordinator for the National Federation of Local Cable Programmers.
- Municipal/Educational Cable TV Coordinator for the City of San Francisco, 1985-89.
- KTOP-TV Cable TV Station Manager for City of Oakland, CA—started and built station to a 24/7 city cable tv channel.
- Founded CGMEDIA Web Design and Production in 1996 for small business owners who need help with strategizing, designing and developing websites, search engine visibility and marketing campaigns.
What lessons have you learned along the way that you'd like to pass on to current Reed students?
“Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.”
In what ways you think you can help Reed students?
I can show up and see what happens.
What else should students know about you? (e.g., volunteer engagement, avocations, interests)
SF Bay Area Reed Alumni Chapter Chair for the last few years.