About The Center for Life Beyond Reed
The Center for Life Beyond Reed at Reed College provides a rich variety of resources and opportunities to help students and new alumni pursue and develop creative, fulfilling, socially responsible lives throughout their academic and professional careers at Reed and after graduation.
- Counsel students to identify strengths, interests and values, to pursue academic and career options and to deepen self-understanding
- Capture and develop opportunities for students to explore the intersection of their strengths, interests and values
- Coach students on strategies and skills that help them to seize and take full advantage of a wide variety of opportunities
- Encourage students to make informed choices at every stage of their academic and professional careers
Values that we apply to our daily work with students, faculty, and employers:
- We value education in the liberal arts and sciences as an end in itself; as the foundation for responsible engagement in the world; and as the best preparation for the pursuit of a creative and useful life.
- We value experience beyond the curriculum that complements academic studies and enriches the life of the mind; prepares students for the opportunities and challenges of professional, civic, and private life; and deepens their understanding of personal strengths and interests.
- We value fairness and equity so that students and alumni will have access to a wide range of opportunities and experiences as they explore educational, career, and volunteer options.
- We value communities that celebrate diversity; respect and demonstrate independent thought and choice; and embrace the pursuit of the common good.
- We value collaboration and teamwork within our department and with our partners, including Reed alumni, faculty, staff and administrators; as well as with other educational institutions, employers, and community-based organizations.
- We value results and feedback that allow us to measure our effectiveness in delivering the best career and volunteer services possible; and we will develop information systems that help us to evaluate our programs and build on our successes.